Outstanding placement rate in a high demand market
High Workforce Demand
Our graduates enter the workforce with specialized skills serving a high demand market and have significant career placement success.
- 99% of our MLS graduates find employment within 6 months of graduation.
- The National Center for Health Workforce Analysis projects that demand for medical and clinical laboratory technologists in the U.S. will have increased 19 percent between 2016 and 2030.
The demand for University of Minnesota MLS graduates lends itself to career opportunities in a variety of settings. These include clinical and leadership roles within hospitals and medical laboratories, health care agencies, academia and numerous other professional routes.
Workplaces which have hired our MLS program graduates say they bring to their roles an invaluable level of expertise and hands on experience, such as:
- Experience working in health care teams with diverse backgrounds;
- An in-depth understanding of the pathophysiology related to a breadth of disease states;
- The ability to integrate information across multiple sub-disciplines;
- Professional workplace conduct and contributions, combining soft skills, technical and scientific knowledge and abilities;
- The ability to function in complex, dynamic environments;
- An understanding and expertise in the performance of high complexity assays.
"One thing I value about this is that there’s a lot of flexibility. If you don’t want to work the lab you can go into management. And if you don’t like certain specialties you can re-train and learn more. There are so many different ways you can go."
"This sounds like everything I wanted. It's science, it’s lab, I like lab work, its practical, and I also do want to pursue med school in the future."