Resources at the University

Students will find helpful resources on this page. Contact information is included for each resource and department. Faculty and Student Services Advisors are also available to help guide toward the resource that fits best.

Expand all


Center for Health Interprofessional Programs (CHIP)

  • Offers health professions students an exciting opportunity to meet and collaborate with students from other colleges. Drop by the lounge, get involved in a committee, or attend an event!
  • Center for Interprofessional Education promotes interprofessional education opportunities that advance teamwork and result in improved health care.
  • Contact: [email protected]   612-625-7100.


The Smart Learning Commons

  • Free tutoring resource located in several locations on campus. Peer tutors help students with many subjects, including Anatomy, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Math and Statistics.
  • Contact: [email protected]

 Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE)

  • Seeks to provide services and programs that create powerful, caring human connections. The MCAE staff provides culturally sensitive advice and coordinates programs for individuals and groups on academic, financial, personal and career concerns.
  • Contact: [email protected]

Student Counseling Services

  • Promotes student success through individual and group counseling; classes, workshops and presentations; consultation to faculty, staff and students.
  • UCCS addresses a wide range of issues impacting student success, including mental health and life concerns, learning and academic skills challenges, career uncertainty, and faculty/staff-student communication.
  • Contact:, [email protected]
  • Rochester Contact Info: Kris Barry [email protected] 507-258-8671
  • Rochester Talk ONE2ONE: 1-800-756-3124 (24-Hour Help Line)


Disability Resource Center (DRC), a unit of the Office of Equity and Diversity (OED)

  • Works with your instructor to provide reasonable accommodations/modifications to a course, program, service, job activity or facility that eliminates or minimizes disability-related barriers to allow equitable access.
  • For an accommodation to be considered reasonable, it must meet four criteria:
  1. It must not compromise essential requirements of a course, program, job, activity or facility.
  2. It must not cause an undue administrative or financial hardship.
  3. It must not compromise the safety of the student or others.
  4. It must not fundamentally alter a course or program.


Minnesota English Language Program

  • Provides courses in English as a second language (ESL) at the U of M.
  • ESL coursework helps non-native English speakers improve English reading, writing, and speaking skills for success in a university classroom or in the workplace.
  • The “Student English Language Support” option is designed for students who want to address a particular English language need in order to be more successful at the U of M, who have a specific question about learning English or who need resources for polishing English skills.
  • Consultation appointments available Monday – Thursday. No walk-in hours available.
  • Contact: [email protected]

U of M Writing Center

  • Provides free writing instruction for all U of M students - graduate and undergraduate – at all stages of the writing process.
  • Contact: [email protected]
  • Rochester Just ASK is where current students go to ask questions, get suggestions, talk about strategies and discover solutions.  Just ASK is located in the 3rd floor lounge of University Square and in 318 Commons near the booth seating just outside of the faculty offices. 507-258-8076


Equal Employment & Affirmative Action (EOAA), a unit of the Office of Education and Diversity (OED)

  • EOAA investigates complaints about discrimination; harassment, including sexual harassment; sexual misconduct, including sexual assault, stalking, and relationship violence; nepotism; and retaliation.
  • EOAA provides educational programming on issues related to discrimination, harassment, sexual violence, bullying, religious discrimination, and the hiring process.
  • EOAA also is responsible for recommending changes and making revisions to relevant University policies and procedures.

You can report to EOAA by:

  • Scheduling an appointment with an EOAA representative.  Please call (612) 624-9547 or email [email protected].  We can provide the best assistance by meeting in person or scheduling a telephone call.

Student Conflict Resolution Center (SCRC)

  • Formal and informal conflict resolution services to resolve students’ university-based problems and concerns.
  • Ombudsman provides confidential, neutral and informal options.
  • An advocate is available to assist students in formal grievance or disciplinary proceedings.
  • Contact: [email protected]

Office for Community Standards

  • The home of the University Student Conduct code.
  • This office handles academic dishonesty cases; students who participate in academic dishonesty (e.g. Plagiarism) will be reported to OSCAI.
  • Contact: [email protected],  612-624-6073


Financial Aid

  • Financial Aid award letters can be found in your “My Finances” tab in the MyU Portal.
  • Your financial aid will be disbursed into your University student account at the start of each semester if you have registered for the required amount of credits.
  • Credit load definitions:
    • Full time = 12+ credits
    • ¾ time = 9-11 credits
    • Half time = 6-8 credits
    • Less than half time = 1-5 credits
  • Students registered for less than 13 credits need to complete the 13 Credit Exemption Request form.
  • You must be enrolled for at least 6 credits to be eligible for the Ford Federal Direct student loans.
  • Federal Perkins Loans and University Trust Fund Loans require a minimum of 12 credits of enrollment each semester.
  • Undergraduates who already have a bachelor’s degree from the U of M are ineligible for financial aid a second time.
  • Contact: Liaison to CAHP – Liz Holm ([email protected])