Current Students OTD

ACOTE Approval

The University of Minnesota Program in Occupational Therapy has been approved by ACOTE to admit students into the Occupational Therapy Doctorate Program. We are no longer accepting applications into the Master of Occupational Therapy Program. 

Current Student Information

current studentsThe Occupational Therapy Doctoral degree program at the University of Minnesota has received approval for candidacy status by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), located at 4720 Montgomery Lane, Suite 200, Bethesda, MD 20814-3449. ACOTE’s telephone number c/o AOTA is (301) 652-AOTA and its web address is

The program must now have a pre-accreditation review, complete an on-site evaluation, and be granted Accreditation Status before its graduates will be eligible to sit for the national certification examination for the occupational therapist administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). After successful completion of this exam, the individual will be an Occupational Therapist, Registered (OTR). In addition, all states require licensure in order to practice. However, state licenses are usually based on the results of the NBCOT Certification Examination. Note that a felony  conviction may affect a graduate's ability to sit for the NBCOT certification examination or attain state licensure.

Current students on both the Twin Cities and Rochester campuses can find need-to-know information such as advising, forms, compliance information, student governance and more on this website, along with information about financial aid, scholarship opportunities, student jobs and University resources to aid you in being a successful student.  

Immunizations, Insurance, Fees

 According to Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines, and Academic Health Center (AHC) policy, all students (including international students) enrolled in AHC colleges must meet immunization requirements as a condition of enrollment. AHC students who do not complete these immunization requirements will not be able to register for classes. Students admitted to the Masters in Occupational Therapy curriculum will be asked to provide documentation of immunizations. For complete details visit the U of M's Boynton Health Service web page on immunization requirements.

Health Insurance

All OT students are required to have health insurance while they are attending/participating in all course work including fieldwork experience. Students are often at locations other than on campus and out-of-classroom experiences put students at risk for infectious diseases such as influenza, hepatitis B, HIV, and other occupational health risks. AHC students must either enroll in the Student Health Benefit Plan or request a waiver to use other outside insurance. Regardless of which insurance plan they choose, students must never experience a gap in coverage while in the OT Program.

Click to learn more about Health Insurance.

Long Term Disability​ Insurance

Each fall and spring of enrollment in the Program in Occupational Therapy, students are charged for enrollment of the Long Term Disability Insurance. For more information, please visit the Office of Student Health Benefits Long Term Disability page.

Student Services Fee

Students enrolled in 6 or more credits for fall and spring semester or 3 or more credits for summer term must pay a student services fee in addition to tuition. This fee provides students with access to various campus resources and services. These include but are not limited to: University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan, Boynton Health Services, Student Conflict Resolution Center, University Recreation & Wellness Center, University Student Legal Services.

Students must review their University account (via MyU portal) each semester to ensure they have been assessed this fee to avoid interruption to these resources and services. If you are not being assessed the Student Services Fee automatically, you are required to complete the Student Services Fee Assessment Request form to be issued to the fee. Failure to comply could result in removal from course enrollment.

Click to learn more about the student services fee.