Academic Requirements for Entry
*Requirements for MLS Certificate, BS Degree, and MMLS Degree only
Students who apply to the MLS Program will have their applications reviewed based on several academic factors. All applications are reviewed in their entirety and admission decisions are based on overall assessment of each applicant’s academic preparation and performance, experiences, and the primary and secondary factors.
If you would like more information about the program prior to applying, please complete an Inquiry Form to be contacted by a member of our admissions team.
Criteria for Admission
Primary Factors Considered for Admission:
- Minimum GPA Requirements
- For the BS Degree or Certificate - 2.75; 3.0 is preferred
- For the MMLS - 3.0; 3.2 is preferred
- Prerequisite GPA – GPA of specific program requirements as above
- Overall Science and Math GPA – all physical science and math courses completed at the college level as above
- Number of repeated courses
- Number of course withdrawals
- Rating on the personal Interview
- Performance on the Admissions Skills Assessment
Secondary Factors Considered for Admission
Individual circumstances such as those listed below are also part of the overall assessment of each application and may factor into individual decisions.
Liberal Education Requirements
All students enrolled at the University of Minnesota are required to fulfill Liberal Education (LE) requirements. Transfer students can complete most LE requirements prior to entering the University by completing one of the following:
- The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) – If you complete the MnTC at a participating school and then transfer to the UMN, you have completed the core, theme, and first-year writing portion of the University's liberal education requirements (you may still need to complete the writing intensive portion of the writing skills requirement). Such completion must be noted on the official transcript from your school.
- Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree – If you earn an A.A. degree at a MN community or technical college, you are considered to have completed a major portion of the LE requirements. Please work with your academic advisor to determine which requirements apply to you.
- Previous BS/BA degree Students - If you have already earned a BA or BS degree (or higher) from the University or another institution, you are exempt from Liberal Education requirements. Students will be required to successfully complete the Writing Intensive courses that are part of the MLS curriculum.
- Academic Affiliated Students – If you are applying to the MLS Program from one of our academic affiliates and intend to receive your degree from your home institution, you are required to meet the Liberal Education requirements of your home school and are exempt from the University's Liberal Education requirements. You are required to successfully complete the Writing Intensive courses that are part of the MLS curriculum.
Review the UMN Liberal Education requirements. All Liberal Education requirements must be complete before beginning Year 4 of the program.
Science Prerequisite Course Requirements
All students who intend to apply to the MLS Program must successfully complete the following science courses or the accepted equivalent courses, receiving a grade of C or higher. If you have received a grade of a C- or below, you must repeat the course and receive a satisfactory grade to be considered for admission. Please see the Transfer Guides below for course equivalencies from other institutions.
Biology: 8 credits
- BIOL 1009 - General Biology (4)
- PHSL 3051 - Human Physiology (4)
Mathematics: 3-4 credits
- MATH 1142 - Short Calculus (3) OR
- MATH 1271 - Calculus I (4)
Statistics: 3-4 credits
- STAT 3011 - Introduction to Statistical Analysis (4) OR
- ESPY 3264 - Basic and Applied Statistics (3)
Chemistry: 14 credits
- CHEM 1061 and CHEM 1065 - Chemical Principles I with Laboratory (4)
- CHEM 1062 and CHEM 1066 - Chemistry Principles II with Laboratory (4)
- CHEM 2301 - Organic Chemistry I (3)
- CHEM 2302 - Organic Chemistry II (3)
Foundation Science Prerequisite Course Requirements
All students who intend to apply to the MLS Program for Year 4 admission must also successfully complete the following Foundation Science courses or the accepted equivalent courses by receiving a grade of C or higher. If you have received a grade below a C, you must repeat the course and receive a satisfactory grade to be considered for admission. Please see the Transfer Guides for course equivalencies from other institutions.
- VBS 2032 OR MICB 3301 – Microbiology with laboratory (5)
- GCD 3022 OR BIOL 4003 – Genetics (3)
- BIOC 3021 – Biochemistry (3)
- MLSP 5011W – Professional Issues (2)
- MLSP 5511 – Immunobiology (3)
- MLSP 5311 – Laboratory Techniques (4)
Many prospective students come to the MLS program from colleges and universities in and around the state of Minnesota. To assist those students in preparing for admission, transfer guides have been developed for a number of institutions. These transfer guides list course requirements and their equivalent courses at your college or university. Please use these transfer guides to help you select the courses that will meet the program’s prerequisite course requirements.
If your institution is not listed, or the transfer guide for your school(s) does not list the courses you have taken, please send the following information to [email protected] for review:
- Name of Institution where course was completed
- Course Number and Name
- Number of credit hours
- Year and semester taken
- Course description(s)
- Syllabi (if available)
We are currently in the process of evaluating and updating our current transfer guides. Please see below for our current selection of transfer guides.
Please click on the links below to access the transfer guides:
COVID-19 Pandemic: Changes to Prerequisite Grade Requirements
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the MLS program will accept S/N grades for non-MLSP prerequisite courses for the follow semesters: Spring 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021. However, to be a more competitive applicant, completing prerequisite courses on an A-F grading scale is preferred. If applicants have questions regarding the grade requirements, contact [email protected].
Suggested Plans of Study
Suggested Plans of Study for the BS degree and Certificate
This sample Plan of Study for the BS in MLS at the University of Minnesota is based strictly on courses necessary to prepare for the Professional (4) year in the MLS program without regard to individual student issues and is intended as a guide for the student’s academic plan.
Notes for the BS Degree and Certificate:
- The Liberal Education requirements chosen in this sample schedule were selected to fulfill requirements and credit load per semester.
- Students may choose any courses that fulfill the Liberal Education requirements for a University of Minnesota undergraduate degree.
- All science and Liberal Education courses must be completed no later than spring of Year 3.
- Due to the intensity of the MLS curriculum schedule, students are not allowed to enroll in any non-MLSP during Year 4.
- No part-time enrollment option is currently available for the Professional (Year 4) of the MLS Program.
Suggested Plan of Study for the MMLS Professional Masters Degree
Notes for the MMLS Professional Masters Degree:
- Liberal Education courses are waived due to the previous degree.
- All science and foundation courses must be completed prior to entering the professional year of the program.
- Due to the intensity of the MLS curriculum schedule, students are not allowed to enroll in any non-MLSP during the program.
- A part-time enrollment option is available after consultation with the faculty advisor.
- International Applicants: the MMLS Professional Masters Degree has been approved to accept international students on an F1 visa. Applicants with other visa types should contact [email protected] for further information on admission eligibility.