Apply to Program
The Medical Laboratory Sciences Program is an upper division baccalaureate professional degree program. Because this program is a professional practice degree in the medical field, we look for students with a strong academic background in the sciences, critical reasoning abilities, personal integrity and ethics as well as a commitment to promoting the health and well-being of individuals and society.
Admission into the MLS professional program is a competitive process. Students must meet the minimum academic and non-academic requirements of the program and complete the application process for consideration. Please be sure to review all of the content in this section before moving to the Application Instructions.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or 877-334-2659.
Application open and close dates
Space is still available for Year 3 and Year 4 enrollment in the Medical Laboratory Science program. All interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Medical Laboratory Sciences Application Opens: August 1
Undergraduate Transfer Application Opens: October 1
Application Priority Deadlines: February 1
Application Final Deadline (if space is available):
Year 3│July 1
Year 4│June 1
Application Review begins: February 2
Interview & Skill Assessment
Interview & Skills Testing: March
The Interview and Skills Assessments typically occur the first Friday of March. Interview and skills are by invitation only, and are conducted on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.
Notification of Decision
Notification of Decision: April
Applications are ranked based on the interview and skills assessment. Each applicant should receive an email notification of acceptance or non-acceptance by the end of April.
An application fee of $50.00 will be collected when the final MLS application is submitted.
Primary and Secondary Factors
Students who apply to the MLS Program will have their applications reviewed based on the primary and secondary factors below. All applications are reviewed in their entirety and admission decisions are based on overall assessment of each applicant’s academic preparation and performance, experiences, and the following factors:
- Minimum GPA of 2.75; 3.0 or higher is considered competitive
- Cumulative GPA – entire academic record
- Prerequisite GPA – GPA of specific program requirements
- Science and Math GPA – all physical science and math courses completed at the college level
- Liberal Education requirements
- Rating on the personal interview
- Performance on the Admissions Skills Assessment
Individual circumstances such as those listed below are also considered as part of the overall assessment of each application and may factor into individual decisions (in no particular order).
- Work experience in medical or other laboratory setting
- An exceptionally rigorous academic curriculum
- Full time enrollment semester with science laboratory courses
- No repeated courses
- No more than one course withdrawal
- Military service
- Knowledge of MLS profession
- Advanced degrees
- Submit all Official Documents (transfer application, forms, transcripts)
- Complete and submit the online MLS application.
- Pay fee
- Your application will be considered only after you have submitted an electronic payment and required documents are on file
- If you are unable to make a payment electronically please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 334-2659.