Pathways to Earn a Professional Credential in Medical Laboratory Sciences
After successfully completing the MLS program, you will be eligible to take the ASCP National Certification Exam, which is required for employment in the hospital setting. There are several pathways to eligibility:
- Are you a seeking your first baccalaureate degree?
- University of Minnesota students will earn a BS in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Transfer students from a 2-4 year institution will earn a BS in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Are you an affiliated student from Minnesota State University-Mankato, Saint Cloud State University, or the University of Wisconsin-River Falls?
- Affiliated students will earn a Certificate in Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Are you a student with a previous BS, BA, or Higher Degree?
- Apply to earn a second BS degree
- Apply to earn a Certificate in Medical Laboratory Science
- Apply to earn a Professional Masters in MLS (MMLS)
Aplications are still being accepted
Application Opens: August 15th
Priority Deadline: February 3rd
For more information, view the Apply to Program: Admissions Overview.
Criteria for Admission
Primary Factors Considered for Admission:
- Minimum GPA Requirements
- For the BS Degree or Certificate - 2.75; 3.0 is preferred
- For the MMLS Degree 3.0; 3.2 is preferred
- Prerequisite GPA – GPA of specific program requirements as above (Academic Requirements)
- Overall Science and Math GPA – all physical science and math courses completed at the college level as above (Academic Requirements)
- Number of repeated courses
- Number of course withdrawals
- Rating on the personal Interview
- Performance on the Admissions Skills Assessment
Secondary Factors Considered for Admission
Individual circumstances such as those listed below are also part of the overall assessment of each application and may factor into individual decisions.
- Work experience in medical or other laboratory setting
- Rigor of your academic record
- Number of semesters with full time enrollment including science laboratory courses
- Military service
- Knowledge of MLS profession
- Advanced degrees
Preparing to Apply
- Complete the online virtual First Steps Session First Steps Session
- More questions? Attend an in-person First Steps Session
- Review the Academic Requirements.
- Refer to Transfer (Planning) Guides if needed.
- Review the Non-Academic Requirements.
- Review the Terms and Conditions requirement.
- Print and review the Application Instructions.
- Utilize the Application Checklist to guide the application process.